How to Make an Employment Contract in a Foreign Language
Entering foreign markets can rightfully be considered as a sign of success for a commercial organization. Nevertheless, this event also requires the attention of the lawyers of the contract department: there is a need for competent execution of documents regulating relations with specific foreign counterparties. It also may be necessary to translate employment contracts. Such agreements set the rights and obligations of both parties. Any claims may be based only on the provisions of a signed document between employer and employee.
All types of these contracts are based on one rigid structure, have their own rules and standards. Before starting work, a professional translator already knows which vocabulary should be used in the preparation of documents, on which templates they are based and what is their structure. This knowledge helps the specialist significantly save time on translation, avoiding common mistakes in the selection of language equivalents.
What should be indicated in the translation of the employment contract:
- A complete list of the tasks of the employee, the place of work and the duration of the agreement;
- The length of the working day, weekends and holidays;
- Salary, as well as all deductions and allowances (including social insurance funds);
- The procedure for the payment of wages;
- Overtime conditions;
- Payments in case of loss of working capacity, medical insurance;
- The grounds on which the contract can be broken by each of the parties;
- Settlement of disputes;
- Travel to the country of destination and return to the home country, including obligations in event of forced return.
A high-quality translation of the contract is distinguished by an attention to details. There are some useful tips:
- The same word in different languages should be translated equally. A game with synonyms that can distort the meaning of the message is not allowed.
- The names of the parties must have a clear translation, consistent with reality. Sometimes contractors agree in advance with the translator how the parties of the document should be called.
- Although the numbers themselves do not change, the format of their notation undergoes some changes. So, in English, thousands should be separated by commas, and decimals by dots. In Cyrillic languages, thousands are marked with spaces, and decimal fractions with commas. For comparison: $4,567.42 in English = 4 567,42 dollars in Bulgarian.
- The translated text needs to be checked in three stages. First of all, we check the conformity of the number of paragraphs and sentences; on the second — we review the technical aspects of the text (numbers, surnames, proper names), the general style of the text, the places that caused difficulties in the translation process; at the last stage we carefully verify the text — sentence by sentence.
Now you are completely ready to make a new employment contract. Good luck!